Important information on CSM organized Side events for CFS 43
After assessing the CSM side events selection’s procedure of last years, the Coordination Committee during its meeting in May 2016 agreed a new way to define the CSM organized side events to the CFS Annual Session. This new procedure will be started this year and aims to propose the CSM organized Side events around priority themes identified for the upcoming Annual Session. All interested organizations in the CSM are invited to join the preparation of a specific proposal for these priority themes, while the lead for the elaboration of the specific side event proposal is with the corresponding CSM WG.
The new procedure also tries to avoid the competition among CSOs (so that the CC had to chose 5 out of 15 proposals, which was frustrating for those CSO whose proposals were not chosen) and to instead foster the inclusiveness of CSM participating organizations. The CC identified five priority themes for CSM organized side events proposals for 2016:
1) Sustainable agricultural Development, including livestock, related to the upcoming HLPE report and policy roundtable at CFS 43;
2) Territorial approaches to Food Security and Nutrition, in relation with the CFS workstreams on smallholders to markets and urbanisation/rural transformation worktreams;
3) Safeguards against conflict of interest in the CFS, proposal coming from the nutrition working group, but seen as a general challenge for the CFS;
4) Monitoring and implementation (in relation to the work of the CSM Working group on Monitoring, including the efforts on VGGT, FFA on Protracted Crises, and other CFS Decisions as contained in the GSF in general);
5) Food Sovereignty, including agroecology and genetic resources, related to the proposals made by the CSM for the future agenda of the CFS.
All CSM participating organisations are invited to contact the CSM Secretariat and to indicate to which of these side events they want to contribute. They will then be included in the list of the corresponding preparatory group. Please take note that all five CSM side event proposals must be submitted to the CFS Secretariat by 8 July. If you have questions about the procedure, please contact the CSM Secretariat: email@example.com