CSM Working Group on Monitoring
Naseegh Jaffer – WFFP
Sofía Monsalve – FIAN
To see the full list of the working group members click here
To join the Working Group please write to the CSM Secretariat at email@example.com
Chair of the CFS OEWG on Monitoring: Robert Sabiti (Uganda)
The Committee for World Food Security (CFS) reform document defines the promotion of accountability, particularly through an innovative monitoring mechanism, as one of six key functions of the CFS. The establishment of such a monitoring mechanism is still pending, six years after the CFS reform.
The CSM working group has been contributing to the CFS Open Ended Working Group on Monitoring, for the past few years, trying to ensure that the CFS complies with its mandate as set out in the 2009 reform document regarding monitoring and accountability.
The innovative mechanism of monitoring which is in the making will have to take into account the unique role of the CFS as “the foremost inclusive international and intergovernmental platform for a broad range of committed stakeholders to work together in a coordinated manner and in support of country-led processes towards the elimination of hunger and ensuring food security and nutrition for all human beings.” Therefore, as in policy dialogues, the CFS should take into account the diversity of monitoring approaches by different actors and should aim at bringing them into a conversation instead of trying to adopt one monitoring approach only.
Extract from MYPoW 2016-2017 on Monitoring
- Following CFS 41 and the implementation of the CFS Effectiveness Opinion Survey in 2015, the OEWG on Monitoring will continue its work in 2016-2017. Countries are invited to volunteer to pilot the implementation of voluntary in-depth country level assessments of CFS effectiveness and discuss the results with the OEWG. Additionally, the OEWG on Monitoring will take into consideration the implementation of CFS workstreams as outlined in CFS MYPOWs in order to develop best practices for future monitoring activities.
Process 2016- 2017
18 May 2017
Additional meeting of the OEWG on MYPoW
- Draft Agenda
- CFS previous decisions on monitoring
- Proposal for the preparation of the next GTE in October 2018
- Draft decision box
- Draft proposal on monitoring CFS decisions
- CSM contributions to the meeting
- Draft decision box with CSM comments
- Draft proposal on Monitoring with CSM comments
3 May 2017
CFS Advisory Group and Bureau Meeting
CFS OEWG on Monitoring – 6 April
The main objectives of the meeting are to agree on: a) How CFS should continue monitoring the implementation of its policy outcomes, including the multiyear schedule for Global Thematic Events, and the steps for the preparation of the next Global Thematic Event at CFS 45 in October 2018; b) Draft decisions for CFS 44 Plenary.
CFS Background Documents:
- Draft proposal: Monitoring the implementation of CFS main policy products and other CFS policy recommendations
- Draft decisions for CFS 44 Plenary
- CSM Contributions to the meeting
- CFS Outcomes of the meeting
CFS OEWG on Monitoring – 26 January
The Meeting will address the following issues: 1) Introduction to the work of the OEWG on monitoring in 2017; 2) How to continue monitoring the implementation of CFS products, drawing lessons from the VGGT Global Thematic Event at CFS 43? (for discussion); 3) Multiyear schedule for monitoring the implementation of CFS major policy products (for discussion); 4) Workplan of the OEWG on Monitoring – 2017 (for decision)
CFS Background Documents:
- Drawing Lessons from the Global Thematic Event at CFS 43 – Background and guiding questions
- OEWG Workplan for 2017
- CSM Speaking Points
- CSM Minutes of the meeting
Process 2015- 2016
- CFS 43 Final Report
- Terms of Reference to share experiences and good practices in applying CFS decisions and recommendations through organising events at national, regional and global levels.
- Experiences and good practices in the use and application of the voluntary guidelines on the responsible governance of tenure of land, fisheries and forests in the context of national food security (VGGT) – Summary and key elements
- Voluntary guidelines on the responsible governance of tenure – Global Thematic Event
- CSM Intervention from the Panel
- CSM interventions during the Global Thematic Event : First intervention, Second intervention (only available in Spanish), Third intervention)
- CSM intervention during the CFS session on Monitoring (only available in Spanish)
The Synthesis Report on Civil Society experiences regarding the use and implementation of the Tenure Guidelines and the challenge of monitoring CFS decisions is now ready!
A Contribution of the Civil Society to the Global Thematic Event during the 43rd Session of the Committee on World Food Security (CFS) and to developing an innovative mechanism for the monitoring of CFS decisions and recommendations.
This synthesis report summarizes the results of a broad consultation among small-scale food producers and other civil society organizations (CSOs) around the globe on the use and implementation of the Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land, Fisheries and Forests (henceforth “the Guidelines”).
8 July – Meeting of CFS Bureau and Advisory Group
- Draft Decision Box
- Draft Outline for the Global Thematic Event on VGGT
- Terms of Reference to share experiences and good practices in applying CFS decisions and recommendations through organising events at national, regional and global level
- CSM Contribution on Monitoring at the CFS Bureau and Advisory Group meeting
Call to send inputs for the elaboration of an independent CSO report on the use and application of VGGT as input to the global thematic session during CFS 43!
3 May – 30th FAO Regional Conference for Europe, Antalya – Turkey
CFS Multi-Stakeholder Dialogue on ” Sharing experiences and taking stock of the use and application of the VGGTs in Europe and Central Asia”. Read the Concept Note.
15 April – Deadline to Submit inputs from CFS Stakeholders on VGGTs for the preparation of CFS 43 Global Thematic Event
17 March – 2nd Meeting of the OEWG on Monitoring
- Terms of Reference to share experiences and good practices in applying CFS decisions and recommendations
- Draft Decision Box
Read the CSM proposals for the Decision Box
3 February – 1st Meeting of the OEWG on Monitoring
- Draft OEWG Workplan
- Background Document prepared by the CFS Secretariat
- Draft Terms of Reference to share experiences and good practices in applying CFS decisions and recommendations
- France Proposal
- CSM Proposal
19 January – CSM Information Meeting on Monitoring
The CSM Working Group on Monitoring presented its Proposal on the basic Terms of Reference for monitoring events at national, regional and global levels