The Secretariat of the Civil Society and Indigenous Peoples’ Mechanism (CSM) for relations with the United Nations Committee on World Food Security (CFS) is seeking a
Full-time organizational and logistical support person for the period 15 May to 31 October 2021
Deadline to apply has been extended to 8th May 2021
Due to COVID-19 restrictions the work will be carried out mostly virtually. The person is nevertheless expected to be in Rome, Italy, from 15 June – 31 July and from 1 September to 15 October (to be confirmed according to the evolving situations of COVID-19 restrictions in Italy).
The requested person will be asked to support the CSM in its organizational and logistical contributions to the independent process of civil society and Indigenous Peoples’ organizations to challenge the UN Food Systems Summit, including during the major moments of the coming months: the pre-Summit scheduled for 19-21 July in Rome, the Summit in September 2021, and the CFS 49 Plenary from 11-15 October 2021.
Key tasks of the person for the period May to October 2021 will be:
- Organization of meetings of the independent process (global meetings, regional meetings, coordination calls, webinars, advocacy meetings, outreach activities, etc.);
- Support the preparation of input documents to these meetings, elaboration and consolidation of minutes and internal communication of meeting outcomes;
- Management of the internal community platform of the process;
- Support informal translations of internal communications, minutes and similar documents;
- Support to activities of external communication;
- Support the registration of civil society participants to meetings, when needed;
- Organizational and logistical support to other CSM meetings and activities, when needed.
These tasks will be implemented in close collaboration and coordination with the CSM Secretariat team and other structures responsible for the independent process to challenge the Food Systems Summit.
The CSM is looking for a person who:
- Has at least 3 years of work experience related to food security and nutrition/food sovereignty/human rights issues
- Has proven experience organizing and preparing international meetings and events with peoples’ organizations and social movements;
- Is fluent in English and has working knowledge of Spanish and/or French, and/or Italian
- Has excellent organizational skills;
- Has good knowledge in managing online community and video-conferencing platforms;
- Is committed, responsible and proactive with good problem-solving skills;
- Is able to work in a multi-cultural environment and able to contribute harmoniously to team work;
- Is able to adapt to a flexible working schedule;
- Has knowledge of the UN context, in particular CFS or FAO context;
- Has a substantial understanding of, and experience working with people’s organizations, social movements and Indigenous Peoples, including at the international level.
- Fluent as well in a second Language, namely, Spanish, French or Italian.
- Is able to support outreach to civil society organizations and movements in Italy.
The selected person will be offered a consultancy working contract (or, if requested, a project-based contract could be envisaged) for the period 15 May to 31 October 2021. Compensation will be communicated to short listed candidates.
If interested, please send your CV and a covering letter explaining how you meet the selection criteria to email@example.com by 8 May 2021.
All applications will be treated in confidence. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. The interviews will take place on 12 May 2021 virtually.
WHAT IS THE CSM
The CSM is the largest international mechanism of civil society and indigenous peoples’ organizations (CSOs) working to eradicate food insecurity and malnutrition by promoting effective agriculture, food security and nutrition policies, at the national, regional and global levels. The CSM gives particular priority to peoples’ organizations and social movements consisting of the people most affected by hunger and malnutrition. For more information on the CSM please consult the website www.csm4cfs.org
In 2009, the Committee on World Food Security (CFS) underwent reform in order to become the foremost international and intergovernmental platform to promote coordinated action amongst governments and other stakeholders geared toward ensuring food security and nutrition for all human beings. CFS Member States recognized the right of CSOs to autonomously establish a global mechanism for food security and nutrition that could function as a facilitating body for civil society consultation and participation in the CFS.
The CSM Secretariat is dedicated to provide support to all bodies of the CSM working on the different policy processes defined in the annual workplan, and facilitates the participation and contributions of civil society and Indigenous Peoples’ organizations to these policy processes. The Secretariat supports, and reports to, the Coordination Committee of the Mechanism.