CSM Working Group on the Global Strategic Framework for Food Security and Nutrition
A new coordinator and facilitator will be appointed soon!
Chair of the CFS OEWG on GSF: Fernanda Tansini (Brazil)
This Working Group was established in 2011 to focus on following the process of developing and drafting of the firsts versions of the Global Strategic Framework for Food Security and Nutrition (GSF). The Working Group is currently actively engaged in the periodic updating process of the GSF.
The Global Strategic Framework for Food Security and Nutrition (GSF) is a single, living document annually approved by the CFS Plenary. Is the first global framework adopted by a consensus of governments that systematically mainstreams the right to adequate food and human rights into policies relevant to food security and nutrition at the global, regional and national level. The GSF is intended to become the primary global reference for coordination and coherence in decision making on food, nutrition and agricultural issues.
Resources for CSOs
Extract from the MYPoW2016-2017 “Global Strategic Framework for Food Security and Nutrition (GSF) “
- At its 40th Session in 2013, the Committee decided that a periodic updating of the GSF be carried out to review the full text and adjust its length, subject to available resources1.
- The periodic updating process would take the form of a targeted review in order to incorporate major new international developments in the area of food security and nutrition in the text, particularly in Chapter 3 “The foundations and overarching frameworks”. The Sustainable Development Goals as well as the outcomes of ICN 2 could represent the main pillars of such update. This process is also meant to carry out a minor technical update of Chapter 4 “Policy, programme and other recommendations” to streamline its content and reduce its length by primarily focusing on CFS recommendations.
- The periodic updating process will also offer an opportunity to think about dissemination options for the GSF, including by making it a more user-friendly on-line resource that might offer more scope to include case studies.
- The consultation process will be carried out within the GSF OEWG with a view to finalizing the revised version of the GSF before July 2017 and presenting it for endorsement by the Committee at its 44th Plenary Session in October 2017.
Process 2016 - 2017
OEWG on GSF
GSF OEWG meeting to provide inputs on the Zero draft of the online version, which will be circulated by end of September/early October, based on agreement reached at the OEWG meeting in May
OEWG members to provide written inputs on the Zero draft of the online GSF
First Draft of the GSF
First draft of the Online GSF (in all FAO languages) is made available by the CFS Secretariat and GSF OEWG Chair, subject to available resources
OEWG on GSF
GSF OEWG meeting to approve the Online Version of the GSF and discuss the dissemination strategy. If needed an additional meeting may be scheduled in June 2017
CFS 44 to approve the online version of the GSF
CFS 44 Plenary Session Outcomes – 13 October 2017
Intervention of Adwoa Sakyi, IUF, Ghana on behalf of the CSM Working Group on GSF
The CSM would like to thank the Chair, Ms. Fernanda Tansini for her leadership and role in facilitating the periodic update of the GSF, leading to a format which has retained the fundamental normative content, while also becoming more accessible and user-friendly in the new online format.
The GSF is the overarching framework and the only living document of the CFS, and is a reflection of the cumulative work achieved within the space of the CFS, contributing tools and guidance towards addressing food insecurity and malnutrition, and realizing the right to food.
Although the update has been completed, there is still much work to accomplish with regard to the GSF.
As the basis and main reference for monitoring of the use and application of CFS decisions to achieve the vision of the CFS of a world free from hunger where the right to adequate food is realized, we call upon all present in the CFS to better utilize the GSF, to collectively improve policy coordination, convergence and coherence as well as mutual accountability. Keep Reading…
- Look on video CSM Intervention at CFS 44!
CFS Plenary Session Documents- 9/13 October 2017
10 May 2017
Meeting of the OEWG on Global Strategic Framework
The objectives of the meeting will be to finalize the periodic update of the GSF, agree on the related CFS 44 draft decision and share views concerning the newly developed Online GSF and its dissemination.
Please note that the result of the periodic update and the Online GSF are available in all languages at the following link: http://www.fao.org/cfs/workingspace/workstreams/oewg-gsf/en/
20 January 2017
Deadline to provide written inputs on the Zero Draft of the Revised Global Strategic Framework for Food Security and Nutrition (GSF) and ideas on the GSF communication plan
30 November 2016
CFS OEWG on GSF
- Draft Agenda
- Zero Draft Revised GSF Periodic Update with Track Changes
- GSF OEWG Draft Workplan
- CFS Outcomes
- CFS 43 Final Report
- CSM Plenary Statement
- Draft decision Global Strategic Framework for Food Security and Nutrition
- Global Strategic Framework for Food Security and Nutrition – Fifth Version
Meeting of the CFS Bureau and Advisory Group – 8 July 2016
Draft Decision Box on GSF CFS 43
OEWG Meeting – 2 May 2016
- Proposal for the periodic updating of the Global Strategic Framework
- OEWG Workplan
- Compilation of inputs received
- GSF 2015
- Proposed process, guiding principles and budget estimate approved in 201